As you may be aware, it has been recently announced that processors from Intel, AMD and ARM are prone to what are termed as Side Channel Attacks. These vulnerabilities are also referred to as Spectre and Meltdown.
VXL is working diligently to release OS patches as they are provided to us by the vendors.
Which systems are affected by Meltdown?
Desktop, Laptop, and Cloud computers (Thin Clients) may be affected by Meltdown. More technically, every Intel processor which implements out-of-order execution is potentially affected, which is effectively every processor since 1995 (except Intel Itanium and Intel Atom before 2013). We successfully tested Meltdown on Intel processor generations released as early as 2011. Currently, we have only verified Meltdown on Intel processors. At the moment, it is unclear whether ARM and AMD processors are also affected by Meltdown.
Which systems are affected by Spectre?
Almost every system is affected by Spectre: Desktops, Laptops, Cloud Servers, as well as Smartphones. More specifically, all modern processors capable of keeping many instructions in flight are potentially vulnerable. In particular, we have verified Spectre on Intel, AMD, and ARM processors.
WES7, WES8 and Win10-IoT
WES7 and Win10-IoT
WES 7 Critical Update: Please click to download.
Win10-IoT Critical Update: Please click to download.
Once you have downloaded the appropriate update, you can:
Install using a USB Key
- Unpack the ZIP contents to a USB key
- Log in as administrator on the thin client
- Disable the Write Filter through START > Thin Client Applets
- Thin client will reboot
- Log in as Administrator
- Install the patch
- Enable the Write Filter
- Disable the Write FIlter
Install using Fusion Professional/Premium 4.1 and above
- Navigate to Windows > Software Deployment > Software/Patch Install/Uninstall
- Click New Install
- Select New Upload from the Source Type menu
- Select the Repository you wish to use from the Source menu
- Click the magnifying glass symbol and select the update file
- Click the Upload button
- Click Save to save this task to the template
- You can now deploy the template to devices or groups.
- There is no need to change Write Filters as this is done automatically by Fusion.
Gio Linux v6
LeTOS is currently being worked on and a solution is expected w/c 8th January 2018.
Information on Spectre and Meltdown is available here: https://spectreattack.com/